Crews work on a retaining wall (left). Work is also underway to create the drive-up, drop-off lane for the new library (center).
Work on the parking lot and sidewalks is underway, and interior work is well underway on the new Geneva Public Library at 227 S. Seventh St.
After consulting with their building team, Library officials hope that construction will be completed after the beginning of the year. The opening day will be determined at a later date.
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• enhanced collections and programs
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• exhibit space
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
Doors to the pedestrian entrance on Campbell Street are in place.
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program and craft room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• middle school lounge space
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
The main entrance is on Seventh Street, near Franklin Street. Additional parking lot work and landscaping is underway.
Our community can enjoy using a variety of new spaces that offer:
• enhanced collections
• a quiet reading and study area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
Lighting installation is underway in the parking lot.
Another view of the drive-up, drop-off lane for the new library. The Quiet Reading Room is on the upper level. The window covered in plastic below will be the drive-through window.
A view of the new library from Seventh Street. To the right is the main meeting room. In the center on the upper level is the balcony and the indoor/outdoor fireplace.
WHAT ARE PLANS FOR THE PARK ON THE SITE? The Park District held a public meeting in September to select the playground design. The playground will be located at Sixth and Franklin streets. The start date for installation will be determined later.
WILL THE LIBRARY BE CLOSED DURING THE MOVE TO THE NEW LIBRARY? We will close, but dates are not yet set for our move or opening day. We’ll post updates to gpld.org and our Facebook Page as we know more.
WHERE CAN I KEEP UP WITH PROGRESS? Check back at gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.