Crews at work on the south side of the new library.
Crews have installed most of the siding on the new Geneva Public Library at 227 S. Seventh St. After consulting with their building team, Library officials hope that construction will be completed after the beginning of the year. The opening day will be determined at a later date.
Workers are installing terracotta on the south side of the building (facing Franklin Street) and have completed work on the north side of the building (Campbell Street). Site work, including sidewalks and the parking lot, is expected to begin in the next couple of weeks.
This view from Sixth and Campbell streets shows the completed terracotta work on the north side of the new library.
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• enhanced collections and programs
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• exhibit space
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
This view from Seventh and Franklin streets shows the remaining terracotta work on the south side of the building.
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program and craft room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• middle school lounge space
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
Our community can enjoy using a variety of new spaces that offer:
• enhanced collections
• a quiet reading and study area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
A view of the upper level outdoor terrace that overlooks Sixth Street.
A view of the corner of the new library's main meeting room, which faces Sixth Street.
A view of the new library from Sixth Street, with the main meeting room on the right. The arch in the center is the outdoor patio; below that is the kids' area. To the left on the upper level is the quiet reading room. Below that is the drive-up, drop-off window.
Looking on from Seventh and Campbell streets. The kids' area is on the lower level represented by the windows; the rooms above are bookable meeting and conference rooms.
WHAT ARE PLANS FOR THE PARK ON THE SITE? The Park District held a public meeting in September to select the playground design. The playground will be located at Sixth and Franklin streets. The start date for installation will be determined later.
WILL THE LIBRARY BE CLOSED DURING THE MOVE TO THE NEW LIBRARY? We will close, but dates are not yet set for our move or opening day. We’ll post updates to gpld.org and our Facebook Page as we know more.
WHERE CAN I KEEP UP WITH PROGRESS? Check back at gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.