Crews install terracotta on the south/southwest side of the building (Seventh and Franklin streets). The upper level is the Quiet Reading Room; below that (behind the construction equipment) is the drive-up window where you'll be able to pick up and drop off library materials.
Construction continues on the new Geneva Public Library at 227 S. Seventh St. After consulting with their building team, Library officials hope that construction will be completed after the beginning of the year. The opening day will be determined at a later date.
Crews are installing terracotta on the south side of the building (facing Franklin Street) and have completed work on the north side of the building (Campbell Street).
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• enhanced collections and programs
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• exhibit space
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
The north side of the building as viewed from Campbell Street. Terracotta installation is complete. The long row of windows on the lower level looks into Kids Landing. The upper level consists of the technology area as well as bookable rooms the community can use for studying, work, group meetings, and more.
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program and craft room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• middle school lounge space
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
Our community can enjoy using a variety of new spaces that offer:
• enhanced collections
• a quiet reading and study area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
A view of the upper level balcony as seen from Seventh Street; below that is Kids Landing. To the right is the main entrance off the parking lot (there is a pedestrian entrance off Campbell Street).
This view from Campbell Street shows the pedestrian entrance (center).
This view from Franklin Street shows the main meeting room on the right. Above that is the teen space (left) and craft room (right).
The view from Seventh and Campbell Streets. To the right on the upper level is the Quiet Reading Room, on the left are the bookable study/meeting rooms.
WHAT ARE PLANS FOR THE PARK ON THE SITE? The Park District held a public meeting earlier in September to select the playground design. The playground will be located at Sixth and Franklin streets. The start date for installation will be determined later.
WILL THE LIBRARY BE CLOSED DURING THE MOVE TO THE NEW LIBRARY? We will close, but dates are not yet set for our move or opening day. We’ll post updates to gpld.org and our Facebook Page as we know more.
WHERE CAN I KEEP UP WITH PROGRESS? Check back at gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.