Workers have installed the indoor/outdoor fireplace (center) serving the second floor and balcony at the new Geneva Public Library at 227 S. Seventh St.
Workers continue to install terracotta siding on the new Geneva Public Library under construction at 227 S. Seventh St. Additional work includes adding the indoor/outdoor fireplace, grading the site to prepare for the parking lot, installing the grand staircase in the lobby, and adding drywall on the second and third levels. Library officials are working with their building team to update the construction schedule and hope that construction will be complete around the end of the year. The opening day will be determined at a later date.
Much of the lighter colored terracotta is in place on the new library, and you can watch workers install the darker color in the video below.
The rendering above shows the area where workers are installing the darker terracotta along Campbell Street.
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• enhanced collections and programs
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• exhibit space
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program and craft room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• middle school lounge space
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
Our community can enjoy using a variety of new spaces that offer:
• enhanced collections
• a quiet reading and study area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
A closer look at the darker terracotta pieces that will soon be installed. These views are from Campbell Street.
Late afternoon sun hits the terracotta on the building as seen from Campbell and Seventh streets.
The doorway to the balcony overlooking Sixth Street is on the top right. To the left is the side of the main meeting room.
A view of the staircase connecting the main lobby to the upper level/Collaboration Zone area.
A sneak peek at the pedestrian entrance off Campbell Street. The main entrance will be on the other side of the building looking onto Franklin Street.
The view from Franklin and Seventh Streets. The quiet reading room is on the left, the balcony is in the middle, and the main meeting room is on the right. The gravel is part of the process of grading the parking lot. Below is the rendering of the south side of the building.
WHAT ARE PLANS FOR THE PARK ON THE SITE? The Park District will hold a public meeting with neighbors in September to select the playground design. The playground will be located at Sixth and Franklin streets.
WILL THE LIBRARY BE CLOSED DURING THE MOVE TO THE NEW LIBRARY? We will close, but dates are not yet set for our move or opening day. We’ll post updates to gpld.org and our Facebook Page as we know more.
WHERE CAN I KEEP UP WITH PROGRESS? Check back at gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.