Workers install terracotta on the exterior of the main meeting room, which is located on Sixth Street.
Workers continue to install terracotta siding on the new Geneva Public Library under construction at 227 S. Seventh St. Additional work includes grading the site to prepare for the parking lot, installing the grand staircase in the lobby, and adding drywall on the second and third levels. Library officials are working with their building team to update the construction schedule and hope that construction will be complete by the end of the year. The opening day will be determined at a later date.
A peek through the windows to see the staircase under construction in the lobby. This view is from Campbell Street.
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• enhanced collections and programs
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• exhibit space
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
Terracotta installation on the south side of the main meeting room, which faces Franklin Street.
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program and craft room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• middle school lounge space
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
A panoramic view of the new library as seen from Franklin Street. To the right is the main meeting room, in the center is the balcony, and on the left is the quiet reading room. Below the quiet reading room is the drive-up, drop-off window.
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
A panoramic view of the library as seen from Sixth and Campbell streets. To the left is the main meeting room, the lobby is in the center, and the area covered with blue tarp consists of bookable meeting rooms. The tarp protects the rooms from humidity as workers frame walls.
Our community can enjoy spending time in a variety of new spaces that include:
• enhanced collections
• a quiet reading and study area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
WHAT ARE PLANS FOR THE PARK ON THE SITE? The Park District will hold a public meeting sometime this fall with neighbors to select the playground design. The playground will be located at Sixth and Franklin streets.
WILL THE LIBRARY BE CLOSED DURING THE MOVE TO THE NEW LIBRARY? We will close, but dates are not yet set for our move or opening day. We’ll post updates to gpld.org and our Facebook Page as we know more.
WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE? Visit gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates on progress. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.
Enjoy drone footage of the new library under construction at https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=397645540885855.
Get a video tour of the interior of the new library at https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2444482515838882.