A view of terracotta siding installed at Campbell and Seventh streets.
Workers are installing terracotta siding on the new Geneva Public Library under construction at 227 S. Seventh St. Library officials are working with their building team to update the construction schedule and hope that construction will be complete by the end of the year. The opening day will be determined at a later date.
A panoramic view of the library as seen from Campbell Street.
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• enhanced collections and programs
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• exhibit space
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
A closer look at the drive-up, drop-off window (center) off Seventh Street. To the upper right is the outdoor balcony that will be served by an indoor/outdoor fireplace.
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program and craft room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• middle school lounge space
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
A peek inside the main meeting room located off Sixth Street.
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
Our community can enjoy spending time in a variety of new spaces that include:
• enhanced collections
• a quiet reading and study area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
Looking from Sixth Street into the lower and upper levels of the new library.
> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
A panoramic view of the new library as seen from Franklin Street.
WHAT ARE PLANS FOR THE PARK ON THE SITE? The Park District will hold a public meeting sometime this fall with neighbors to select the playground design. The playground will be located at Sixth and Franklin streets.
WILL THE LIBRARY BE CLOSED DURING THE MOVE TO THE NEW LIBRARY? We will close, but dates are not yet set for our move or opening day. We’ll post updates to gpld.org and our Facebook Page as we know more.
WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE? Visit gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates on progress. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.
A view from Sixth Street, from the meeting room space (left) to the two-story lobby (right).
The windows of the quiet reading room (above) off Seventh Street reflect afternoon sun.