Workers install the railing for the porch facing Franklin Street that will be served by an indoor/outdoor fireplace.
Here is a wider view of the balcony. To the left is the quiet reading room on the upper level, below that is the drive-up, drop-off window (the middle window on the bottom).
Crews have been installing porch railings, windows, insulation, and more as work continues on the new Geneva Public Library at 227 S. Seventh St. Terracotta siding is on-site and will be installed soon. We are working with our building team to update the construction schedule and hope that construction will be complete by the end of the year. Our opening day will be determined at a later date.
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• a community gallery
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
Windows have been installed for the two-story lobby area, which will host exhibits and other events.
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• a space for middle school students
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
This view from Sixth Street shows the lobby (bottom) through to the children's space, as well as the second level (where the crew member is working).
-> Our community can enjoy spending time in a variety of new spaces that include:
• a quiet reading area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
A view of the quiet reading room (above) which faces Seventh Street. Below it is where drive-up, drop-off service will occur (on the right hand side).
-> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
WHEN WILL THE NEW LIBRARY OPEN? We are working with our building team to update the construction schedule and hope that construction will be complete by the end of the year. Our opening day will be determined at a later date.
WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE? Visit gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates on progress. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.
This view from Seventh Street shows the porch that faces Franklin Street (center) and the main meeting room (on the right).