Workers install windows on the two-story lobby of the new library which faces Sixth and Campbell streets. The lobby will have places to gather, Library displays, an art gallery, and more.
Construction continues on the new Geneva Public Library at 227 S. Seventh St. Crews are installing windows, framing interior walls, and adding rain screen and insulation layers. Terracotta siding is on site and will be installed soon. The prospective opening date is fall 2019.
The new library gets some pink as workers install insulation. This view from Campbell and Seventh streets looks onto study rooms (top left), a mechanical room (center), and the quiet reading room (curved portion on the right).
WHAT WILL THE NEW LIBRARY FEATURE?
The 57,000-square-foot building will include:
• 76 off-street parking spaces
• drive-up convenience to pick up and drop off books and materials
• a variety of meeting areas
• a community art gallery
• outdoor reading spaces
• ADA compliance, making it accessible for all
-> The Library will feature an enhanced children’s area that includes:
• a program room
• an outdoor program space
• play areas for young children
• learning space for elementary school-aged children
• a space for middle school students
• developmentally appropriate collections
• learning opportunities for children from birth through eighth grade
-> Teens will have their own space as well as access to more books and materials
-> Our community can enjoy spending time in a variety of new spaces that include:
• a quiet reading area
• an indoor/outdoor fireplace
• two outdoor balconies
• bookable study rooms
• two meeting rooms that can hold a variety of programs
• a demonstration kitchen
• a collaboration zone for group projects or solo work
-> Library service will be expanded to include:
• a technology area where you can use or check out equipment, take classes, and create digital works
• a craft room for classes and drop-in projects
• lab spaces for experimenting
WHEN WILL THE NEW LIBRARY OPEN? The goal is a prospective opening date in the fall of 2019.
WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE? Visit gpldnewbuilding.org for a comprehensive overview of the plans for the new library and regular updates on progress. Please contact us anytime at Board@gpld.org.
Workers begin to install the flooring for the meeting room of the new library, which faces Sixth Street.
A peek into the main lobby and the upper level of the new library as seen from Sixth Street.
This view from Seventh Street shows the quiet reading room, top. Below that is the area that will house staff and items for drive-up window service where you can drop off books that are due and pick up your new books.